This historically plaqued mansion in the posh town of Greenwich, Connecticut was designed as a private residence by Stanford White over 100 years ago. Lovingly restored in a country décor by its current owners, The Stanton House Inn is situated on a residential street only a few steps away from Greenwich's fine shops, gourmet restaurants, and cultural attractions.
In this setting of cozy old world charm, The Stanton House Inn's twenty-two individually decorated bedrooms and three suites offer modern comforts and amenities presented in an unpretentious and relaxed atmosphere.
Their warm and friendly staff makes every effort to ensure your comfort. Enjoy a complimentary breakfast in their dining room or on their patio (weather permitting).
Greenwich's prime location on beautiful Long Island Sound is the "Gateway to New England." The perfect first stop for touring "Classic Connecticut," Greenwich also offers a convenient alternative for a visit to New York City, just thirty-two miles away and easily accessible by train or by car.
The Stanton House Inn was built on land granted to the Reverend Richard Sackette during the time he was Pastor of the Second Congregational Church in 1717. The land was kept in the family for 150 years, and in 1840, Mr. John Sackette built the original structure on its present location.
Mary A. (Sackette) Seaman and her husband Charles H. Seaman lived in the house until 1899. The house was then purchased by Edward & Susie A. Brush. At that time the house was enlarged to its present size and appearance, and the noted architect, Stanford White, was chosen to supervise the work.
The Brush family contributed much to the area and to the Town of Greenwich in particular. The Greenwich Library, Greenwich Hospital, Greenwich Academy, and the Brush Memorial Chapel felt the fine touch of Edward Brush.
In 1920, after the death of Edward Brush, the property was purchased by Theodore L. Pomeroy. Mrs. Pomeroy was active both in politics and the church. Many prominent statesmen and their wives attended the social functions held by Mr. & Mrs. Pomeroy.
In 1937, the house was purchased by Mrs. Nora Stanton Barney, who operated the house as an inn called Stanton House, named in honor of her grandmother, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, the renowned American feminist and social reformer. For the next quarter century the Stanton House was a popular gathering spot for travelers and residents alike.
From 1962 to 1983 it seemed that the Stanton House would not regain any of its original splendor until 1985 when Mr. Tog Pearson and his wife, Doreen, took an interest in it and began to restore the rooms and facilities. It has now become a well needed addition to the community in the form of a "Bed & Breakfast" Inn.
The location is ideal for many of the travelers through this "Gateway" area. The goal set by Mr. & Mrs. Pearson for the Stanton House Inn, over 20 years ago, was to provide a comfortable home-away-from-home environment for their guests.
The Stanton House Inn welcomes you.